Our masthead features one of four American primitive art paintings of the Harvard Common by Luke Pollard which were discovered in the old Pollard home at 14 Fairbank Street. The Harvard Historical Society acquired the paintings in 1996 through the generosity of a benefactor,and HHS Past President, Eleanor Cottle.
Dianne Newton writes in “The Harvard Album” by the HHS, “This Pollard painting shows the two houses that burned. Left to right: The Pollard House; still standing, the Fisher-Farwell House which burned in 1917; the Whitcomb-Reed House which also burned in 1917; the General Store which was moved and replaced in 1891; the Center School which was moved to Ayer in 1905; the Congregational Church; and the Nason-Whitney House at 7 Still River Road.”
Courtesy of the Harvard Historical Society
“The Harvard Album” is out of print. Copies may be available from the Harvard Historical Society. Otherwise, Internet book vendors such as AbeBooks.com, Amazon.com or Biblio.com at times, have the book for sale.